One of the fastest and easiest weeknight dinners would have to be stir-fry. You can pretty much put anything in them and use the same basic method that yields a great result!
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Saute in olive oil until just cooked. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add all vegetables except garlic to pan. Saute until cooked through, but still somewhat crisp (approximately 7-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock. Cook until simmering. Meanwhile, combine soy sauce and corn starch.
- Add corn starch mixture to pan and stir continuously as sauce will immeadiatly start to thicken.
- Add ginger and return shrimp to pan. Stir until shrimp are heated through.
- Serve over rice.
The ingredients in this recipe can be changed to suit your tastes very easily. You can mix up the vegetables, and use what you have on hand. This can be made vegetarian by leaving out the shrimp (or using tofu instead!). You could also change the protein to chicken or beef, and use that flavor of stock (or keep the vegetable stock). The method will still be the same no matter what combination of ingredients you use.