Who doesn’t like banana nut bread? If you said “Me!,” then you might want to skip today’s post, because, today, its all about the bananas!
I’m sharing an old recipe that my mom and I used to make together when I was growing up. When your bananas are black and shrivled like this…
make this Banana Nut Bread!
I’ve tried other banana nut bread recipes, but nothing beats the one I had growing up. When I called my mom to get her recipe, and she told me I probably had it already. A few months ago at a family gathering, my aunts were all passing around a stack of recipe cards from my grandmother. I took the cards home to go through and see if there were any I wanted, and lo and behold, the banana nut bread recipe was in them!
You begin by creaming together sugar and vegetable shortening.
I know some people might be wary of using shortening, so I’m sure you could use butter instead. I was trying to stay as true to the recipe I remember, so I used shortening.
Add in a couple of eggs and some vanilla. Then add your salt and flour and mix until a soft dough/batter forms.
Dissolve some baking soda in warm water ad mix it in to the dough. You want to mash your bananas up before adding them to the mix.
Chop your walnuts
Pour your batter into a greased loaf pan and back at 325* for 1 hour.
You wind up with a lovely, moist loaf of Banana Nut Bread. Spread with a little butter and you have a seriously delicious treat. You can also try it with cream cheese spread on top. I know it sounds a little strange, but trust me, it’s delicious!
Banana Nut Bread
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (or butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 bananas
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cream shortening (or butter) and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add salt and flour. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water and add to dough. Mix until comibined.
- Mash bananas until relatively smooth. Chop walnuts. Add bananas and walnuts to the batter.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake in a pre-heated 325* oven for one hour.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.