Weekends are my favorite. I really enjoy spending lazy Saturday and Sunday mornings with Chris and the dogs. Taking our time to roll out of bed, enjoying a hot cup of coffee (me, not Chris), sitting around reading the paper and sometimes enjoying a special breakfast.
Our weekday mornings are pretty rushed with both of us getting ready for work and taking care of the dogs. His breakfasts consist of bagels, and I usually grab fruit and yogurt to eat at work. Taking the time on the weekends to create a nice meal for the two of us to enjoy together is really special. Usually I make some kind of eggs, as I think we both prefer savory breakfasts to sweet, but sometimes a sweet treat comes out of the kitchen and it is a nice change of pace.
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast
Makes 6 servings
- 1 crusty French baguette
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 6 strawberries, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- butter (for cooking)
- maple syrup
- Cut baguette into 1/3 inch slices on an angle. You want to end up with an even number of slices, since it takes two slices per French toast. I got 24 slices from my baguette.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, an 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract until well mixed.
- Lay your pieces of bread out on a board. I found it easiest to keep the two pieces that will be sandwiched together and flip them so the side that will be the inside face out.
4. Spread each slice with about 1/2 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture. You don’t want to use too much, or it will escape during the cooking.
5. Place sliced strawberries onto half of the bread slices. Top with the other side of the bread, creating a “sandwich.”
6. In a wide bowl, mix eggs, milk, remaining vanilla and cinnamon into a smooth batter.
7. Heat a pan over medium heat. Melt butter in the pan.
8. Dip each “sandwich” into the batter. Let it soak for a moment, then turn over to soak the other side.
9. Place each slice of French toast into the pan and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook other side.
10. Serve with additional sliced strawberries and maple syrup.