Its breakfast time! And what a breakfast this is.
I don’t know if I’ve discussed this, but I am in the savory breakfast camp. While I enjoy the occasional pancake, waffle, or french toast breakfast, 8 out of 10 times, I’m going to pick eggs and bacon and hashbrowns.
These mini Frittata muffins are great because you can totally customize the ingredients for each person. Someone doesn’t like onions? Leave them out! Not a fan of ham? No problemo. You can mix and match ingredients to come up with your own favorite combinations.
These light and fluffy egg muffins make the perfect breakfast or brunch menu item. And how fun would it be to get everyone in the kitchen together deciding on and adding their ingredients to the muffin pan?
Mini Frittata Muffins
makes 6 muffins (double or triple recipe for more!)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- you favorite omlet toppings (I used green pepper, onion, ham and cheddar cheese), finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil mister (or cooking spray)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 6 cups of a muffin tin with your oil mister (or cooking spray).
- Combine eggs, milk, flour and baking soda. Whisk until most lumps are gone (some small lumps are OK).
- Add your toppings (excluding the cheese, if you are using ) to the muffin cups.
- Divide and pour egg mixture equally between the muffin cups. They should be filled about 3/4 of the way full.
- Add your cheese ( if you are using) to the top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until eggs are set.
I went with some pretty “traditional” toppings for this version, but you can really try and experiment with a lot of different flavors. Some I’ve thought of are:
- Smoked salmon and goat cheese
- Herbs and goat cheese
- Spinach, mushrooms and feta
- Sausage (pre-cooked) and onion
- Bacon and cheddar
What combinations would you try?