Well, we made it through another week! Happy Friday! I don’t know about you, but I am ready for the weekend.
Lazy weekends mornings are my favorite. Waking up slowly, sipping coffee, sitting around in your PJs until…well, until whenever you feel like getting dressed, and most importantly, a delicious breakfast.
I rush around so much on the weekdays, grabbing a yogurt, cereal (side note: why is it telling me this isn’t how you spell cereal? that is how you spell it, right?) or toast. Whatever is fast and easy. On the weekends, I like to take a little time to make something special. What could be more special than homemade sausage?
I know what you’re thinking…Uh-uh, no way. I’m not making my own sausage! But trust me, it is easy. And you can control the amount of fat and salt and other ingredients that go in to it.
And don’t worry, we aren’t making links that have to be stuffed or anything complicated like that. If you can make a hamburger, you can make a sausage patty.
And if you can make a sausage link, I’ll invite you over for breakfast. You bring the sausage!
Chicken Apple Sausage Patties
adapted from Rachael Ray’s recipe
makes 12-15 patties
- 1 medium green apple
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cut apple into quarters and remove the core.
- Using a box grater, grate the apple.
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Saute the apple and onion until they are soft, but not brown (about 5 minutes). Cool this mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and cooled apple mixture. Mix well until seasonings are evenly distributed throughout.
- Divide sausage mixture into small patties (12-15 patties).
- Heat a large skillet or griddle. Cook sausage patties for 2-3 minutes per side, or until patties are browned and cooked through.